North Center, Chicago Real Estate Listings
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
North Center in Chicago, Illinois
North Center was settled in the latter part of the 19th century and the early 20th century largely by Germans who worked in what is known as the industrial corridor along Ravenswood Avenue, and the large industrial plants along the Chicago River to the west. In the 1870s, the area was only accessible by the Chicago River and Little Fort Road (now known as Lincoln Avenue). Since then, it has grown tremendously. North Center is considered a vibrant neighborhood with an eclectic mix of retailers, restaurants, live music, live theater, and service-oriented businesses.
North Center’s history is deeply rooted in many European cultures, including German, Polish, Czech, Romanian, Serbian, Greek, Croatian, and French. This is evident in the architectural charm of the homes and buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many are unaware that during the late 19th and early 20th century, the Selig Polyscope Company produced some of America’s earliest motion pictures and was based in Chicago. Along Byron Street near Oakley Avenue and Western Avenue, historic production buildings of the company are still standing and being used as residences and retail businesses. The neighborhood is continuing to grow and become more culturally diverse.
45 minutes to Midway Airport
25 minutes to Chicago Loop
25 minutes to O’Hare Airport
Distance to Downtown
North Center is bordered by Montrose Avenue on the North, by Diversey Parkway on the South, the Chicago River on the West, and Ravenswood Avenue on the East. It includes the neighborhoods of North Center, Roscoe Village, St. Ben’s, and Hamlin Park. The Brown line has stops within the community area at Addison and Irving Park.
North Center is a vibrant community with unique shops and diverse and delicious restaurants. North Center is home to some of the city’s most iconic destinations, including Half Acre Beer Company, the world-renowned Globe Pub, and one of Chicago’s most popular summer street festivals, Rib-fest Chicago.
The neighborhood includes bowling alleys, three city parks, including an indoor ice arena, a nearby library, a nearby movie theater complex, and North Center Town Square. The North Center Chamber of Commerce hosts many free family and community events throughout the year. Northcenter Town Square is also home to a Farmer’s Market on Saturdays from June to October.
North Center is home to Lane Tech High School, a top ranked well-rounded and diverse high school in the state, as well as Coonley & Bell Elementary. North Center was voted one of Chicago’s best neighborhoods by the Chicago Magazine in 2014.
Nearby Chicago Real Estate Markets
- Andersonville Homes For Sale
- Bucktown Homes For Sale
- Bridgeport Homes For Sale
- Bronzeville Homes For Sale
- Chinatown Homes For Sale
- East Pilsen Homes For Sale
- East Village Homes For Sale
- Edgewater Homes For Sale
- Gold Coast Homes For Sale
- Goose Island Homes For Sale
- Humboldt Park Homes For Sale
- Lakeshore East Homes For Sale
- Lakeview Homes For Sale
- Lincoln Park Homes For Sale
- Lincoln Square Homes For Sale
- Little Village Homes For Sale
- Logan Square Homes For Sale
- Loop Homes For for Sale
- Magnificent Mile Homes For Sale
- Near North Side Homes For Sale
- Noble Square Homes For Sale
- North Center Homes For Sale
- Old Town Homes For Sale
- Pilsen Homes For Sale
- Printers Row Homes For Sale
- River North Homes For Sale
- River West Homes For Sale
- Roscoe Village Homes For Sale
- South Loop Homes For Sale
- Streeterville Homes For Sale
- Ukrainian Village Homes For Sale
- University Village Homes For Sale
- Uptown Homes For Sale
- West Loop Homes For Sale
- West Town Homes For Sale
- Wicker Park Homes For Sale