Wicker Park, Chicago Real Estate for Sale
Wicker Park, Chicago MLS Real Estate Listings
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Wicker Park | Chicago, Illinois
The Wicker Park District has been part of Chicago since its incorporation as a city in 1837. The farthest northwest point of the city was North Avenue and Wood Street. In 1847, the city’s western boundary moved to Western Avenue. By 1853, the heart of what would become the Wicker Park District: North, Milwaukee, and Damen, was occupied by homes on the corners of North and Milwaukee and by a public well on the northwest corner of North and Damen.
Industry first came to the area in 1857 when the Rolling Mill Steel Works opened along the river near Ashland and Armitage. An Irish community settled in that area providing the major source of labor for the mill. Establishing homes and businesses along major avenues, including Ashland and Milwaukee, people pushed further out of the city. Clothing, furniture, musical instruments, cigar manufacturers and breweries, to name a few, would eventually add to the industrial scene of the District. The first ethnic groups to push out of the city were Germans and Norwegians, followed by the Jews and then the Poles.
As Wicker Park was previously a relatively inexpensive area, it attracted artists, writers, craftsmen, and artisans. Restaurants, small galleries, and theaters followed, and today it is a trendy and popular destination. In the park that bears its name, the Wicker Park Garden Club maintains 10,000 square feet of ornamental gardens. Other park facilities include athletic fields and courts, a field house, gymnasium, meeting rooms, community gardens and more.